Zengxiang (Eric) Wang, PhD
Associate Professor & Associate Dean, Assurance of Learning and Student Experience
Areas of Expertise: Principal-Agent Conflicts; Risk-Return Tradeoff; Corporate Governance
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-866-213-0869
- PhD - Queen’s University
- MBA - St. Mary’s University
- Bachelor of Science - Shandong University
- ECON 300 - Introduction to Finance
- FNCE 300 - Introduction to Finance
- FNCE 401 - Investments
- FNCE 403 - E-Commerce and Risk management
- FNCE 470 - Portfolio Management
Dr Eric Wang is an Associate Professor of finance at Athabasca University. His research uses econometric and matching techniques to test elements of resource dependency and risk-return theories. His research touches on a range of topics, including director compensation, financial regulations, the participation of private entities in government regulation, and crowdfunding.
In addition to his teaching and research experience, Dr Wang has co-edited a special issue for an academic journal, won faculty wide research award and professional association sponsored education award and federal government community enhancement award. He has also sat as a trustee for the faculty staff pension plan for more than 11 years, as well as mentoring students to the championship round of the CME commodity trading challenge in 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018.
Selected Recent Publications
- Alzyoud, H., Wang, E. Z., & Basso, M. G. (2018). Dynamics of Canadian oil price and its impact on exchange rate and stock market. International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, 8(3), 107-114.
- Yang, D., & Wang, E. Z. (2015). Quality control of distance and online education – A case study of Athabasca University. Vocational and Technical Education Forum, 592(12), 59-63.
- Yang, D., & Wang, E. Z. (2013). Student-oriented distance education model: A study based on Athabasca University. Distance Education in China, 1, 33-36.
- Wang, E. Z., Yang, J., Ye, G., & Huang, L. (2012). Editorial to the special issue on Management theory and practice in China. Journal of International Business and Emerging Markets, 4(4), 273-276.
- Wang, E. Z., & Ye, G. (2012). A Chinese Cinderella’s global debut: Internationalization of business programs at JUFE. Asia Pacific and Globalization Review, 2(1), 1-12
- Yang, J., Wang, E. Z., & An, Y. (2012). Canadian exceptionalism: shareholder proposals, filer identities, and voting outcomes. Managerial Finance, 38(5), 456-484.
- Rankin, D., Yang, J., & Wang, E. (2008). Reconstructing the historical performance of merged e-commerce funds. Investment Review, 245-254.
- Chowdhury, S. D., & Wang, E. Z. (2009). Institutional activism types and CEO compensation: A time-series analysis of large Canadian corporations. Journal of Management, 35(1), 5-36.
- Wang, E., Musila, J., & Chowdhury, S. D. (2005). How shareholder activists pick their targets. Ivey Business Journal, Nov-Dec, 1-7.
- Chowdhury, S. D., & Wang, E. (2004). CEO compensation: Turning conventional wisdom on its head (almost). Ivey Business Journal, Nov-Dec, 1-7.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Foo, M., Hurst, D., & Wang, E. Z. (2018). Crowdfunding cash flow speed and the attributes of founders and of projects. Presented at the Frontier of Business Research Conference, Beijing, China.
- Hurst, D., Foo, M., & Wang, E. Z. (2018). Fostering entrepreneurial financing success by enhancing crowdfunding platforms. Presented at the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Meeting, Halifax, Canada.
- Wang, E. Z. (2017). Understanding the intensity of China’s outward direct investment to African countries. Presented at the International Symposium Frontiers of Business Research of China, Beijing, China.
- Hurst, D., Kalmacoff, R., & Wang, E. Z. (2017). Project attributes self-selection model of crowdfunding in a global setting. Presented at the Canadian Council for Small Business and Entrepreneurship Annual Conference, Quebec, Canada.
- Chowdhury, S., & Wang, E. Z. (2016). Stock exchange type and outside director compensation: A resource dependence perspective. Presented at SMS, Berlin, Germany.
- Chowdhury, S., & Wang, E. Z. (2016). Director compensation across two stock exchanges: Canadian evidence. Presented at the International Symposium of Frontier of Business Research of China, Beijing, China.
- Chowdhury, S., & Wang, E. Z. (2016). Director compensation across two stock exchanges: Canadian evidence. Presented at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference, Edmonton, Canada.
- Foo, M., & Wang, E. Z. (2015). Measuring the integrity (reputation) of mutual fund dealers. Presented at the International Symposium of Frontiers of Business Research, Beijing, China.
- Foo, M., & Wang, E. Z. (2014). The beauty is in the difference: Enforcement against financial fraud in Canada. Presented at the International Symposium of Frontiers of Business Research, Beijing, China.
- Chowdhury, S., & Wang, E. Z. (2012). The type of stock exchange and compensation structure of outside directors: Evidence from Canada. Presented at the 32nd Annual International Conference of Strategic Management Society, Prague, Czech Republic.