Weiming Liu, PhD, CPA, CA
Assistant Professor, Accounting
Areas of Expertise: Management Accounting; Experimental Accounting; Behavioral Accounting
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 780-675-6807
- PhD – University of Waterloo
- MSc. – University of Lethbridge
- B.E. – Jilin University
Dr Weiming Liu specializes in using experimental methods to study research questions in the field of management accounting. Specifically, he is interested in understanding how management control systems and incentive contracts adopted by organizations affect employees’ motivation, behavior and performance. His PhD thesis examines the effect of group identity and compensation contract on employees’ sabotage behavior.
Prior to his doctoral study at Waterloo, Dr Liu worked with MNP in Lethbridge for four years during which he provided assurance and tax services, and obtained his designation (CPA, CA). Before Dr Liu started his career in accounting, he graduated from the University of Lethbridge with a Master of Science in Physics, and from Jilin University (China) with a Bachelor of Engineering./p>
Before teaching at Athabasca University, Dr Liu has taught a management accounting course at the University of Waterloo, and physics lab courses at the University of Lethbridge.
Selected Recent Publications
- Kelly, K., Liu, W. and Presslee, A. (2019). The interactive effect of reward type and employee-firm identity on instrumental-symbolic valuation of rewards and willingness to exert effort. Working Paper. Incentive Research Foundation (IRF) Quarterly 1.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Liu, W. (2019). Presented at the CAAA Annual Conference, Ottawa, Canada.
- Liu, W. (2018). Presented at the AAA Annual Conference, Washington DC, USA.
- Liu, W. (2018). Presented at the CAAA Annual Conference, Calgary, Canada.
- Liu, W. (2017). The effect of group identity on reducing sabotage induced by relative performance information. Presented at the APMAA 13th Annual Conference, Shanghai, China.
- Liu, W. (2016). Research Fellow at the AAA/Deloitte/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium,Westlake, USA.
- Liu, W. (2015). Presented at the CAAA Annual Conference Doctoral Consortium, Toronto, Canada.