Michael Mauws, PhD
Professor & Director, Business of Hockey Institute
Areas of Expertise: Strategy; Planning; Governance; Business of Hockey
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-866-514-6182
- PhD – University of Alberta
- BComm – University of Manitoba
Dr Mauws completed his undergraduate degree in Finance at the University of Manitoba in 1988. He did his graduate work at the University of Alberta, receiving a PhD in Organizational Analysis in 1997. Prior to joining AU, he held appointments at McGill University, University of Winnipeg, University of Manitoba, and University of Alberta.
Dr Mauws’s current research focus is the practice of strategic management, particularly in the context of entrepreneurial ventures. Much of his research is firmly anchored in the literature of poststructuralism and, more specifically, discursive perspectives on social reality. The journals in which his research has appeared include Sloan Management Review, Organization Science, Journal of Business Venturing, Academy of Management Review, Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, Journal of Applied Behavioural Studies, and Journal of Management Studies.
Dr Mauws has received numerous awards and grants. He is an ad hoc reviewer for a wide range of journals and conferences. He previously served on the editorial board of Sport Management Journal.
Selected Recent Publications
- Dyck, B., Starke, F., & Mauws, M. K. (2008). Teaching versus learning: An exploratory longitudinal case study. Journal of Small Business & Entrepreneurship, 21(1), 37-58.
- Lawrence, T.B., Dyck, B., Maitlis, S. & Mauws, M. K. (2006). The underlying structure of continuous change. MIT Sloan Management Review, 47(4), 59-66.
- Hinings, C. R. & Mauws, M. K. (2006). Organizational morality. In J. M. Bartunek, M. A. Hinsdale, & J. F. Keenan (Eds.), Church ethics and Its organizational context: Learning from the sex abuse scandal in the Catholic church, pp. 115-121. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield.
- Dyck, B., Starke, F. A., Mischke, G. A., & Mauws, M. K. (2005). Learning to build a car: an empirical investigation of organizational learning. Journal of Management Studies, 42(2), 387-416.
- Lawrence, T.B., Mauws, M. K., Dyck, B., & Kleysen, R.F. (2005). The politics of organizational learning: Integrating power into the 4-I framework. Academy of Management Review, 30(1). 180-191.
- Mauws, M. K. (2004). Let the market decide: Sport sponsorship and its implications for moral autonomy. In T. Slack (Ed.), The Commercialisation of Sport, 307-323. Essex: Frank Cass.
- Mauws, M. K., Mason, D. S., & Foster, W. M. (2003). Thinking strategically about professional sports. European Sport Management Quarterly, 3(3), 145-164.
- Starke, F., Dyck, B. & Mauws, M. K. (2003). Coping with the sudden loss of an indispensable employee: An exploratory case study. Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 39(2), 208-228.
- Dyck, B., Mauws, M. K., Mischke, G. A., & Starke, F. (2002). Passing the baton: The importance of sequence, timing, technique and communication in executive succession. Journal of Business Venturing, 17(2), 143-162.
- McGannon, K. & Mauws, M. K. (2002). Exploring the exercise adherence problem: An integration of ethnomethodological and poststructuralist perspectives. Sociology of Sport Journal, 19(1), 67-89.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Hinings, C.R., Kondra, A.Z., & Mauws, M. K. (2005). A “postmodern” approach to organizational governance. Paper presented at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Hinings, C.R. & Mauws, M. K. (2004). Organizational morality. Paper presented at The Church in the 21st Century Conference, Boston, USA.
- Lawrence, T.B., Mauws, M. K., Dyck, B., & Kleysen, R.F. (2003). The politics of organizational learning: Integrating power into the 4-I framework. Paper presented at the Academy of Management Meetings, Seattle, USA.
- Mauws, M. K. (2003). A textual approach to identity and reputation. Paper presented at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference, Halifax, Canada.
- Mason, D. S. & Mauws, M. K. (2002). The new business of North American professional team sport. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Canmore, Canada.
- Mauws, M. K. (2002). Power/knowledge and sport management. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Conference, Canmore, Canada.
- Mauws, M. K. & Foster W.M. (2002). Sowing the seeds of success: The role of intertextuality in leader evaluations. Presented at the International Conference on Organizational Discourse, London, UK.
- Mason, D. S. & Mauws, M. K. (2001). Fan or spectator? The new business of North American professional team sport. Presented at the European Association of Sport Management Annual Conference, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain.
- Mauws, M. K. (2001). Image, identity & reputation: A textual approach. Presented at the Studying Organizational Discourse Workshop Academy of Management Conference, Washington, USA.
- Mauws, M. K. (2001). Public discourse and corporate reputation. Presented at the North American Society for Sport Management Annual Conference, Virginia Beach, USA.