Farzad (Haider) Alvi, PhD
Assistant Professor of Innovation Finance
Areas of Expertise: Innovation finance; Social impact investing; International entrepreneurship; Emerging markets; Banking
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-844-945-1609
- PhD – University of Cambridge, Judge Business School
- ICD.D – Institute of Corporate Directors
- JD – Indiana University, Bloomington
- MBA – University of Toronto, Rotman School of Management
- AB – University of Chicago
- EFNC 609 - Innovation Finance
- FNCE 249 – Personal Investing
- FNCE 322 – Personal Finance
- FNCE 323 – Personal Finance: Special Topics
Dr Haider Alvi is a former corporate financier turned academic and company director. Having grown up in North America, he has worked in Asia, the Middle East, Europe and Latin America. He has also held academic appointments at EGADE Business School (Tec de Monterrey, Mexico City campus) and Schulich School of Business (York University, Toronto).
Dr Alvi’s research investigates innovation finance, examining the individual agency and entrepreneurial orientations exhibited in high-growth firms, and the adaptation of strategy to volatile contexts. In doing so, he creates insight into novel forms of financing, and how financing can spur innovation.
Dr Alvi also has a special interest in emerging markets, emanating from his 11-year career as a banker focused on the financial services sector. Based at various times in Hong Kong, Jakarta, and Amsterdam, he has advised government shareholders and banks in 17 countries in Asia, the Middle East and Eastern Europe on mergers, restructurings, and privatizations.
More recently, he has taken leadership roles on Boards of not-for-profits and social impact organizations. He is presently Chair of the Board of OECM (Ontario Education Collaborative Marketplace) and Member of the Board of Innovate Edmonton.
Selected Recent Publications
- Alvi, F. H. (2020). International entrepreneurial orientation amidst post-colonial upheaval: Entrepreneurs during the Hong Kong Umbrella Revolution. Critical Perspectives on International Business, DOI 10.1108/cpoib-03-2020-0116.
- Alvi, F. H., Prasad, A. & Segarra, P. (2019). The political embeddedness of entrepreneurship in extreme contexts: The case of the West Bank. Journal of Business Ethics, 157(1), 279-292.
- Alvi, F. H., & Nemat, A. (2019). OECM: Transforming a public sector culture and scaffolding for high-growth, Case Study and Teaching Note. London, Ontario: Ivey Publishing.
- Alvi, F. H., & Mendoza, J. A. (2017). Mexico City street vendors and the stickiness of institutional contexts: Implications for strategy in emerging markets. Critical Perspectives on International Business, 13(2), 119-135.
- Alvi, F. H. & Carsrud, A. (2017). Strategic entrepreneurial agency in emerging markets. Journal of Entrepreneurship, 26(1), 77-101.
- Prasad, A. & Qureshi, T.* (2017). Race and racism in an elite post-colonial context: Reflections from investment banking. Work, Employment and Society, 31(2), 352-362.
- Alvi, F. H. (2014). Vice Media: Competitive advantage and global expansion: Case study and teaching note. Reprinted in Beamish, P. (2015), Cases in Strategic Management, (11th ed.), London: Ivey Publishing.
- Alvi, F. H. (2012). Rethinking the institutional contexts of emerging markets through metaphor analysis. Management International Review. 52(4), 519-539.
* Pseudonym, required by journal.
Selected Recent Conference Presentations
- Alvi, F. H. (2020). The anatomy of a pivot and dynamic capabilities in an early stage internationalization. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Vancouver, Canada).
- Zietsma, C. E., Logue, D., Alvi, F. H., Roberts, A. E. (2020). Scaling capabilities and scaffolding: How do entrepreneurial organizations transform to enable rapid growth? Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Vancouver, Canada).
- Alvi, F. H. (2020). The diffusion of financial standards in emerging markets: The case of the Basel II Capital Accord. Accepted to the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference (St. John's, Canada).
- Alvi, F. H. (2019). Early stage internationalization and the anatomy of a pivot: Sipping mezcal and stumbling into dynamic capabilities. Presented at the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Conference (St. Catharines, Canada).
- Alvi, F. H. (2018). Postcolonial identity construction amidst upheaval: The case of entrepreneurs during the Hong Kong umbrella revolution. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Chicago, USA).
- Alvi, F. H. (2017). Strategizing in emerging markets: An individual level explanation of macro institutional contexts. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Atlanta, USA).
- Alvi, F. H. (2015). Mexico City street vendors and the stickiness of institutional contexts: Implications for strategy in emerging markets. Presented at the Iberoamerican Academy of Management (Santiago, Chile).
- Alvi, F. H. (2013). Operationalizing the adaptation of strategies to the institutional contexts of emerging markets. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Orlando, USA).
- Alvi, F. H. (2009). Reconciling the world society and transnational governance debate: A typology of institutional context. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Chicago, USA).
- Alvi, F. H. (2008). A typology for the institutional contexts of emerging markets. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting (Anaheim, USA).