Angela Workman-Stark, PhD
Associate Professor & Program Director, Leadership and Management Development & Associate Dean, Operations and Innovation
Areas of Expertise: Inclusion; Inclusive Workplace; Leadership; Identity
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 1-833-352-9689
- PhD – Walden University
- MBA - Athabasca University
- Bcomm – St. Mary’s University
- HRMT 300 - Human Resource Planning
- LIMM 593 – The Future of Canadian Manufacturing
- LLCP 598 – Capstone
- LLCR 511 – Leading Creativity
- LTLC 553 - The Leadership Challenge, Exploring the Leader Within
- ESLS 669 - Strategic Leadership
- RDLD 680 - Developing Leaders
- EMDC 644 - Managing Diversity for Competitive Advantage
- LCCL 569 - Cross Cultural Leadership for Global Advantage
- LSCI 572 - Strategic Communications
- LCIW 510 - Creating the Inclusive Workplace
Angela Workman-Stark is an Associate Professor of Human Resource Management and Organizational Behaviour, and the Director of Leadership and Management Development programs in the Faculty of Business. She is also a former Chief Superintendent with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP).
For much of the latter part of her RCMP career, Dr Workman-Stark held significant leadership roles overseeing various transformation efforts focused on enhancing organizational effectiveness and governance, workplace culture, and leadership. Her most high-profile and meaningful role involved overseeing RCMP efforts to create a more diverse and inclusive workplace, and was the catalyst for her transition to an academic career.
In addition to her academic role, Dr Workman-Stark consults extensively with organizations across Canada and internationally. She also researches, speaks, and writes about inclusive leadership and creating inclusive workplaces. She has delivered numerous national and international conference presentations, keynotes, and workshops on leadership and cultural change, and is the author of the book Inclusive Policing from the Inside Out.
In 2017, Dr Workman-Stark was recognized with a Global Diversity and Inclusion Leadership award at the World Human Resources Development Congress in Mumbai, India.
Selected Recent Publications
- Workman-Stark., A. (2018). Putting skills into action: Creating the inclusive workplace. In Every officer is a leader (3rd ed., pp. 403-413). Indiana: Trafford Publishing.
- Rawski, S. L., & Workman‐Stark., A. (2018). Masculinity contest cultures in policing organizations and recommendations for training interventions. Journal of Social Issues, 74(3), 607-627.
- Rawski, S., & Workman-Stark, A. (2017). Sexual harassment training in extreme masculinity contests: Questions raised in policing, In Work as a masculinity contest: Measurement, manifestation, and management. Academy of Management Proceedings, 2017(1).
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). Inclusive Policing from the Inside Out. New York: Springer.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2015). From exclusion to inclusion: A proposed approach to addressing the culture of masculinity within policing. Equality, Diversity and Inclusion: An International Journal, 34(8), 764-775.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2015). Application of a multicultural organizational development approach to change in a Canadian Police Service. Intl J Org Divers, 15(4), 1-16.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Workman-Stark., A., MacCulloch, B., & Fordy, B. (2018). Niagara regional police service: Leading through chaos. Presented at the International Association of Women Police, 56th Annual Training Conference, Calgary, Canada.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2018). Getting to inclusion: Leading from the inside out. Presented at the Australasian Council of Women and Policing Professional Development Seminar, Perth, Australia.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). Creating inclusive teams. Presented at the Australian Federal Police, Queensland Police Service and Victoria Police Services, Queensland, Australia.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). Leading the inclusive organization. Presented at the Australian Institute of Police Management, Manly, Australia.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2016). The challenge of culture change. Presented at the New Zealand Diversity Summit, Aukland, New Zealand.
- Workman-Stark., A., & Rawski, S. (2017). Sexual harassment in extreme masculinity contests: Questions raised by a masculinity contest in policing. Presented at the Academy of Management Annual Meeting, Atlanta, USA.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). Diversity and inclusion inspire innovation. Presented at the World Human Resources Development Congress, Mumbai, India.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). Gender diversity: Institutional perspectives. Presented at the Canadian Forces College Canadian Security Studies Programme, Toronto, Canada.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2017). The role of leadership in creating inclusive workplaces. Presented at the International Association of Women Police 55th annual training conference, Queensland, Australia.
- Workman-Stark., A. (2016). Policing in a modern world. Presented at the BC Law Enforcement Diversity Network Annual conference, Vancouver, Canada.