Alex Kondra, PhD
MBA Program Director & Associate Professor
Areas of Expertise: Institutional Theory; Organizational Culture; Image Management
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 780-675-6807
- PhD – University of Alberta
- BComm – University of Alberta
- ADMN 232 - Introduction to Management
- HRMT 322 - Employment Law
- RIBR 605 – International Business: Understanding and Managing Risks
- HCKY 646 – Applied Franchise Management
Alex Kondra earned his PhD in Business Administration (Major: Industrial Relations, Minors: Organizational Analysis, Economics and Statistics) from the University of Alberta in 1995. He previously taught at Acadia University and was a faculty member while Acadia rolled out the first all laptop environment in Canada.
Dr. Kondra has been with AU since 2001. He previously served at Athabasca University as the acting Vice President Academic, Dean of the Faculty of Business, Executive Director of the Centre for Innovative Management, acting Associate Vice President Academic, acting Director of the School of Business, and program director for AU’s undergraduate business programs. He is currently the Faculty of Business MBA for Executives program director as well as an Associate Professor, teaching in areas of organizational theory and human resources.
Dr. Kondra’s research interests include institutional theory, organizational culture, organizational image and change management. Dr. Kondra is also a member of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada.
- Belassi, B., Cocosila, M. & Kondra, A. (2017). The Effects of Organizational Culture on Buyer-Supplier Relationships in New Product Development Projects. International Journal of Business and Management Science, 7(2), 195-218.
- McQuarrie, F., Kondra, A. Z. & Lamertz, K. (2013). The Impact of Government Coercive Power on the Perceived Legitimacy of Canadian Post-Secondary Institutions. Canadian Journal of Higher Education, 43(2), 149-164.
- McQuarrie, F., Kondra, A. Z., & Lamertz, K. (2011). The Impact of Government’s Coercive Power on Organizational Legitimacy. Proceedings of the Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference (Montreal).
- Kondra, A. Z., & Hurst, D. (2009). Institutional Processes of Organizational Culture. Culture and Organization, 15(1), 39-58.
- Belassi, W., Kondra, A. Z. & Tukel, O. I. (2007). New Product Development Projects: The Effects of Organizational Culture. Project Management Journal, 38(4), 12-24.
- Kondra, A. Z., & Sparkman, R. (2003). Modeling U.S. and Canadian Equality Programs. Journal of Individual Employment Rights, 10(2), 133-149.
- Kondra, A. Z., & Stewart, I. (2000). Labour Party Support and Teachers’ Salaries in Alberta. Journal of Collective Negotiations in the Public Sector, 29(1), 11-28.
- Kondra, A. Z., & Hinings, C. R. (1998). Organizational Diversity and Change in Institutional Theory. Organization Studies, 19(5), 743-767.
- Fisher, E. G., & Kondra, A. Z. (1993). Responding to Environmental Change in Longshoring: Four North American Experiences. Journal of Labor Research, 14(1), 1-27.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Kondra, A. Z., Lamertz, K., & McQuarrie, F. (2018). Publish and perish: Legitimacy, predatory journals, and organizational categories. Presented at the 2018 Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Kondra, A. Z., Lamertz, K., & McQuarrie, F. (2017). Managing organizational image in a complex institutional environment. Presented at the 2017 Administrative Sciences Association of Canada annual conference, Montreal, Canada.
- Lamertz, K., McQuarrie, F., & Kondra, A. Z. (2017). Feeling your way toward appropriateness: How emotional display by individual employees helps build and repair organizational legitimacy. Presented at the 2017 Administrative Sciences Association of Canada annual conference, Montreal, Canada.
- Lamertz, K., Kondra, A. Z., & McQuarrie, F. (2016). Face under pressure: A dramaturgical approach to employee interaction with organizational outsiders during organizational legitimacy threats. Presented at the 2016 Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Conference, Edmonton, Canada.
- McQuarrie, F., & Kondra, A. Z. (2016). Examining discipline specific characteristics and use of transfer agreements: The case of business. Presented at the 2016 Pan-Canadian Consortium on Admissions and Transfer Annual Conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- McQuarrie, F., & Kondra, A. Z. (2016). Exploring the process of institutional isomorphism in patchy organizational fields. Presented at the 2016 Academy of Management Annual Conference, Anaheim, USA.
- Lamertz, K., Kondra, A. Z., & McQuarrie, F. (2013). Managing organizational image at the boundaries of institutional expectations: new universities and their identities. Presented at the 2013 European Group for Organizational Studies Conference, Montreal, Canada.
- McQuarrie, F., Kondra, A. Z., & Lamertz, K. (2012). Using institutional theory to explore institutional striving in Canada. Presented at the Association for Studies in Higher Education, Las Vegas, USA.
- Kondra, A. Z., & Michalczuk, K. (2010). Mediating Student-Academic Interaction Through Contact Centres in Distance Education. Presented at the 2010 E-Learn 2010--World Conference on E-Learning in Corporate, Government, Healthcare, and Higher Education, Orlando, USA.
- Kondra, A.Z., & Devine, K. (2010). Collective Bargaining in Higher Education: The Role of the Student, Presented at the 2010 Canadian Industrial Relations Association Annual Conference, Quebec City, Canada.