Alyson House, CPHR, PhD (In progress)
Areas of Expertise: Human Resources, Strategic Management, Organization Theory
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 403-475-4990
- PhD Candidate – University of Calgary
- CPHR – Chartered Professionals in Human Resources (Alberta)
- B.Comm – Mount Allison University
Alyson House is a PhD Candidate and Human Resources Professional working at the intersection of human resource management and strategy. She brings many years of experience working for one of the world’s largest Energy companies to her academic position. She joined the Faculty of Business at Athabasca University in September 2020 as Assistant Professor, Strategic Human Resources Management.
Alyson is an active researcher in the area of downsizing and layoffs, with a focus both on why firms downsize and how a context of job loss influences emotions at work, internal labor markets, and workforce composition. Her research interests also include professions and the role of HR in organizations. She has developed and continues to establish collaborations with organizations who are concerned with contemporary employment and human resource management challenges.
Selected Recent Conference Presentations:
- House, A. (2020) Business-as-usual: The disenfranchised grief of organization-induced loss. Presentation at Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Meeting, virtual, June 12-15. Winner best student paper award.
- House, A. (2019) Downsizing during economic decline: Changes the game or more of the same? Presentation at Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Meeting, St.Catharines, ON.
- House, A. & Steel, P. (2018) Downsizing and Financial Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Presentation at Administrative Sciences Association of Canada Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON.
- House, A. (2017) No safety in waiting? Impact of timing on magnitude of downsizing. Presented at Haskayne PhD student summer research project competition, September 2017, Calgary, AB. Co-winner best student paper award.