Ana Azevedo, PhD
Associate Professor & Chair, Graduate Admissions Committee
Areas of Expertise: Entrepreneurship; Intercultural Competence; Soft Skills Development
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 780-257-2911
- Toll-Free: 1-888-417-0085
- PhD in Business Administration – Florida International University
- MBA – COPPEAD Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
- BASc in Economics – Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ)
- ENTP 212 - Entrepreneurship
- ENVD 612 - New Venture Development
- RVET 651 - Visionary & Entrepreneurial Thinking
Dr. Ana Azevedo joined the Faculty of Business at Athabasca University in October of 2010. She is currently Associate Professor of Entrepreneurship and teaches graduate courses in New Venture Development and Visionary and Entrepreneurial Thinking. Dr. Azevedo also serves as the Academic Coordinator for the undergraduate entrepreneurship course (ENTP212).
Prior to her relocation to Canada, Dr. Azevedo was an Associate Professor in the Department of International Management at FH-Joanneum (Graz, Austria), teaching courses in Strategic Management, International Business, Quantitative Research Methods, as well as project-based courses in International Market Entry. She has also worked as a full-time faculty member at the University of Texas in El Paso and at Florida A&M University in Tallahassee, Florida.
During the course of her career, Dr. Azevedo has consulted for small and mid-size businesses in the US and Austria and implemented many applied research projects in the areas of Business/Strategic Planning, Research Methods (Survey Design and Administration) and International Market Entry.
Dr. Azevedo’s current research interests include management education, cultural diversity and entrepreneurship. She is passionate about nurturing skills development in management education and about promoting cultural intelligence and entrepreneurial thinking in working professionals, business leaders and entrepreneurs.
Selected Recent Publications
- Morpurgo, M, & Azevedo, A. (2021). Investigating the role of professional accounting education in enhancing meta-competency development: Aligning with industry perceptions. In D. S. Harper (Ed.), Integration and application of business graduate and business leader competency-models. Pennsylvania, United States: IGI Global. [ISBN: 2327-3372]
- Azevedo, A., & Shane, M.J. (2019). A new Training Program in Developing Cultural Intelligence Can Also Improve Innovative Work Behavior and Resilience: A Longitudinal Pilot Study of Graduate Students and Professional Employees. International Journal of Management Education, 17(3), 100303.
- Azevedo, A. (2018). Cultural Intelligence: Key Benefits to Individuals, Teams and Organizations. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 10(1), 52-56.
- Hurst, D., Azevedo, A., & Hawranik, P. (2018). Building Adaptive Capacity in Online Graduate Management Education. In A. Khare and D. Hurst (Eds.), On the Line – Business Education in the Digital Age (pp.265-280). Cham, Switzerland: Springer International.
- Azevedo, A., & Hurst, D. (2017). An Integrative Competency-based Framework for Graduate Entrepreneurship Education. Journal of Business Leadership, 25(1), 10-27.
- Dwyer, R., & Azevedo, A. (2016). Preparing Leaders for the Multi-Generational Workforce. Journal of Enterprising Communities: People and Places in the Global Economy, 10(3), 281-305.
- Azevedo, A., Hurst, D., & Dwyer, R. (2015). Competency-Based Training Program for International Students. International Business Research, 8(3), 11-28.
- Azevedo, A., & Jugdev, K. (2013). Individual Engagement in Business Education: Promoting spiritual intelligence and values to create sustainable communities. International Journal of Sustainability Education, 8(1), 105-115.
- Azevedo, A., Gomezelj, D., Andrews, J., Higson, H., Caballero, A., & Frech, B. (2012). Satisfaction with Knowledge and Competencies: A Multi-Country Study of Employers and Business Graduates. American Journal of Economics and Business Administration, 4(1), 23-39.
- Azevedo, A., Apfelthaler, G., & Hurst, D. (2012). Competence Development in Business Graduates: An Industry-driven Approach for Examining the Alignment of Undergraduate Business Education with Industry Requirements. International Journal of Management Education, 10, 12-28.
- Vaiman, V., Lemmergaard, J., & Azevedo, A. (2011). The Influence of Needs, Personality Characteristics, and Work Motivation on Human Resource Management Strategies – A comparison between Traditional and Non-Traditional Labourers. Team Performance Management: An International Journal, 17(5/6), 311-324.
Selected Recent Conferences Presentations
- Azevedo, A., & Jugdev, K. (2019). Developing awareness of cultural intelligence capabilities: Enhancing academic resilience and reducing stress/burnout. Presented at the ASAC conference, St. Catharines, Canada.
- Azevedo, A., & Shane, M. J. (2018). Developing cultural intelligence for adaptability, resilience and innovation. Presented at the BCCIE summer conference, Vancouver, Canada.
- Azevedo, A., & Hurst, D. (2016). An Integrative Competency-based Approach for Entrepreneurship Education: Lessons Learned from a Longitudinal Pilot Study in Western Canada. Presented at the Applied Business and Entrepreneurship Association International Conference ABEAI, Las Vegas, USA.
- Azevedo, A., Hurst, D., & Dwyer, R. (2014). Effective Integration Leads to Retention: A Competence-based Framework for Developing Self-Discovery and for Promoting Psychological Flexibility, Human Sustainability and Entrepreneurial Thinking in International Students. Presented at the Canadian Council of Small Business and Entrepreneurship Conference (CCSBE), Antigonish, Canada.
- Dwyer, R., & Azevedo, A. (2013). Re-defining Management Education: Preparing Leaders for the Multi-Generational Workforce. Presented at the ASAC conference, Calgary, Canada.
- Azevedo, A., & Jugdev, K. (2012). Promoting Spiritual Intelligence and Values in Business Education: A Holistic Model for Enhancing Individual Engagement Towards Sustainability. Presented at the ASAC conference, St. John’s, Canada.
- Azevedo, A., & Jugdev, K. (2012). Individual Engagement in Business Education: Promoting spiritual intelligence and values to create sustainable communities. Presented at the Eighth International Conference on Environmental, Cultural, Economic & Social Sustainability, Vancouver, Canada.
- Azevedo, A., Apfelthaler, G., & Hurst, D. (2011). What Competencies Matter for Business Graduates’ Early Career Success? An Industry-Driven Approach for Examining the Alignment of Undergraduate Business Education with Industry Requirements. Presented at the Applied Business and Entrepreneurship Association International conference ABEAI, Hawaii, USA.
- Azevedo, A., Apfelthaler, G., & Hurst, D. (2011). Competence Development in Business Graduates: An Industry-driven Approach for Examining the Alignment of Undergraduate Business Education with Industry Requirements. Presented at the ASAC conference, Quebec, Canada.