Certified Hockey Professional – Professional Education Program (CHP-PrEP)
The Business of Hockey Institute (BHI) was launched in early 2015 with the goal of improving the economic viability of professional and amateur hockey through education, research, consulting, and advocacy. As part of its educational mandate, BHI created the Certified Hockey Professional (CHP) designation.
The CHP was created with four inter-related objectives in mind:
- Identify and recognize the executives and managers whose efforts make it possible for others to play and watch the most exciting sport on the planet.
- Encourage talented executives and managers to pursue a career in the hockey business.
- Create a pool of draft-ready managerial talent to staff hockey-related organizations.
- Improve the economic viability of professional and amateur hockey
The CHP is only awarded to individuals who are members in good standing of BHI. In order to qualify, members must:
- Provide reference letters affirming that they possess the professional demeanour and moral character expected of CHPs
- Complete a business or management degree at a recognized postsecondary institution
- Complete the CHP Professional Education Program (CHP-PrEP) through BHI’s academic partner, Athabasca University.
- Accumulate a minimum of three years of managerial experience within hockey-related organizations
Those who hold the CHP are required to demonstrate on an annual basis that they are maintaining their professional currency through continuing education and attendance at industry events.
CHP Professional Education Program (CHP-PrEP)
The CHP-PrEP consists of six, senior MBA level courses that focus on business-related aspects of hockey. These courses were developed with input from executives representing both professional and amateur hockey (e.g., NHL, AHL, WHL, Hockey Canada) and all functional areas of the hockey business (e.g., marketing, finance, operations).
Prior to beginning your CHP-PrEP courses, you are required to take a one week orientation to ensure you are prepared for the online learning environment and set-up for success.
The six courses that comprise the CHP-PrEP are as follows:
- The Business of Hockey
- Marketing Hockey Strategically
- Integrated Marketing Communications for Hockey
- Game Day Management & Marketing
- Hockey Operations
- Managing Franchises Strategically
All six courses must be completed within three years of the date the first course was commenced.
CHP Course Schedule