Online Leadership Certificate of Completion
For executives, managers, and individuals poised to take on leadership roles
In today’s increasingly complex organizations, leaders must create environments in which positive things happen, and others are inspired to contribute at their highest levels. Leaders not only serve as change agents who guide, transform, and bring out the best in their employees to achieve extraordinary results, they also understand the importance of self-reflection and challenging their own assumptions.
Leaders are found at all levels within an organization, and leadership can be cultivated, nurtured, and expressed by mastering a set of practices that enhance leadership skills and competencies. Athabasca University’s online Leadership certificate of completion focuses on soft skill leadership development.
Certificate of completion requirements
The online Leadership certificate of completion is made up of eight (8) online courses worth one (1) graduate credit each. Students are required to complete the following four core courses:
- 553-LTLC: The Leadership Challenge: Exploring the Leader Within
- 572-LSCI: Strategic Communications
- 551-LMOC: Leading People Through Organizational Change
- 571-LSMI: Strategic Management
Plus an additional four (4) courses from the list below:
- 569-LCCL: Cross Cultural Leadership for Global Advantage
- 565-LNCR: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
- 570-LTDV: Team Development
- 554-LCHP: Coaching for High Performance
- 511-LLCR: Leading Creativity
- 510-LCIW: Creating the Inclusive Workplace
Eight (8) courses must be completed to earn the online Leadership certificate of completion. Online courses can be taken in any order (see schedule). No pre-requisites or application forms are required.
Fees are $1108 per course which includes all materials, and Graduate Student Association fees of $13 per credit. AU alumni (degree holders only) will receive a 20% reduction.
Transfer credit available
All eight online courses can transfer to a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Leadership and Management (PBDLM). You will need to complete ten additional credits to satisfy requirements to earn the PBDLM. In addition, three online courses may transfer for one three-credit elective within Athabasca University’s online MBA for executives should you meet the entry requirements and be accepted into the MBA.
What will you learn?
- develop a greater awareness of different leadership styles and preferences
- participate in diagnostic tools for self-evaluation that help to identify leadership blind spots and developmental opportunities
- explore and understand one’s own current leadership strengths and areas of challenge
- challenge your own leadership assumptions and develop new leadership skills and insights
- develop a greater awareness of why organizations change and the roles of leaders and managers within the process
- practice essential elements of coaching skills and coaching process with colleagues
- use a best practices model to plan for a change
- demonstrate increased awareness in and sensitivity to cross-cultural issues in negotiations
|Course||Start Date||End Date||Registration|
|553-LTLC: The Leadership Challenge – Exploring the Leader Within||Jan 7, 2019||Feb 3, 2019||Dec 9, 2018|
|569-LCCL: Cross Cultural Leadership for Global Advantage||Feb 18, 2019||Mar 17, 2019||Jan 20, 2019|
|565-LNCR: Negotiation and Conflict Resolution||Feb 18, 2019||Mar 17, 2019||Jan 20, 2019|
|570-LTDV: Team Development||Apr 1, 2019||Apr 28, 2019||Mar 3, 2019|
|511-LLCR: Leading Creativity||Apr 1, 2019||Apr 28, 2019||Mar 3, 2019|
|571-LSMI: Strategic Management I||May 13, 2019||Jun 9, 2019||Apr 14, 2019|
|572-LSCI: Strategic Communications||Jun 24, 2019||Jul 21, 2019||May 26, 2019|
|510-LCIW: Creating the Inclusive Workplace||Jun 24, 2019||Jul 21, 2019||May 26, 2019|
|551-LMOC: Leading People Through Organizational Change||Aug 5, 2019||Sep 1, 2019||Jul 7, 2019|
|554-LCHP: Coaching for High Performance||Sep 16, 2019||Oct 13, 2019||Aug 18, 2019|
|569-LCCL: Cross Cultural Leadership for Global Advantage||Oct 28, 2019||Nov 24, 2019||Sep 29, 2019|
*Course dates subject to change
GRANT MONEY AVAILABLE
- Receive 2/3 tuition reimbursement
- Up to $10,000 per employee available
- Up to $300,000 per year per company