Strategic Leadership – ESLS 669
The course is divided into a series of lessons that start with a self-review of strategic leadership potential and an overview of the domain of strategic leadership. We explore the tasks, skills and strategic competencies that enable a strategic leader to guide an organization while navigating the tensions involved in positioning the organization to meet short term needs and the long-term vision. Activities in the course include a series of readings, podcasts, group discussions, and two individual assignments (papers).
By the end of this course, you should be able to do the following:
- Assess your leadership potential by identifying your strengths, values, and style and what additional skills you require;
- Define leadership, identify leadership styles, discuss different theories of leadership, and describe basic techniques and issues in leadership;
- Explain the roles of leader and follower in the team context, describe methods of team leadership, and analyze specific techniques and issues in team leadership;
- Identify and discuss issues in leadership at the organizational level;
- Examine your organization and its leadership from a strategic perspective;
- Describe how you will apply leadership concepts and techniques in your situation.
Week 1: What Is Strategic Leadership?
Week 2: The Aspirational Tasks of a Strategic Leader
Week 3: The Skills and Styles of a Strategic Leader
Week 4: Key Processes Involved in Strategic Leadership
Week 5: The Uses of Power
Week 6: Leading Teams and Leaders of Teams
Week 7: Leadership Challenges
Week 8: Making Sense and Sustaining Learning
Your grades will be based on completion of two papers and participation in the Discussion application.