New Venture Development – ENVD 612
In this course for would-be or practicing entrepreneurs, you will learn about the characteristics of entrepreneurs, how entrepreneurial activities are formed, how to acquire know-how by developing entrepreneurial and managerial competencies and skills, and how to apply the entrepreneurial model of vision for developing your own business.
This course is meant for students who have ideas for new ventures, for those who plan to be entrepreneurs, and for those who are currently involved in entrepreneurial activities. The course takes you through the development of a business plan and provides you with some relevant tools. Because some of the tools use Microsoft Excel, it is essential that you be proficient in this software before you begin this course. If you are unfamiliar with Excel, we recommend that you purchase a user manual and practise using the software before the course start date.
By the end of the course, you will have
- acquired a realistic understanding of the requirements for entrepreneurial success, assessed your entrepreneurial potential, and increased your understanding of the relationship between personal planning, level of commitment, and the development of an entrepreneurial venture;
- participated in the actual process of formulating, designing, and structuring a new venture;
- developed a comprehensive feasibility study;
- developed a business plan for a new venture idea.
The course is divided into eight lessons.
- Lesson 1: Overview of the Entrepreneurship Process
- Lesson 2: Entrepreneurial Self-Awareness
- Lesson 3: Opportunity Recognition and Awareness
- Lesson 4: Marketing and Sales
- Lesson 5: Market Feasibility
- Lesson 6: Preparing Your Business Plan
- Lesson 7: Financing the Business
- Lesson 8: Legal Considerations