Making Strategic Choices – STCH 600
This is the cornerstone course for students entering the MBA under accelerated admission and assumes prior learning of strategy fundamentals and functional management principles gained in a recent Bachelor’s degree program in Business Administration or Commerce.
This course is about integrated strategy from the executive view and provides a foundation for subsequent courses by introducing students to the process of strategic decision-making and effective execution of an organization’s strategic choices. It covers fundamental concepts and principles in strategy and decision-making, and then examines how strategic choices shape the mission, goals, processes, structures, and priorities of the major functions of the firm.
The course transitions students from issues of managing the component functions of a business to leading the firm from a general management perspective.
All students are expected to have completed the one-week MBA Orientation course (MBAO-599) that familiarizes them with the AU MBA online learning environment, academic conduct, library resources, case studies, and other useful information to help them be successful in the program.
By the end of this course, students should be able to:
- Understand fundamental elements of strategy including analysis, formulation, and implementation
- Recognize the defining characteristics of strategic choices and apply principles and theories of decision-making
- Relate major functions of a business – marketing, sales, finance, operations, HR, IT, etc. – to strategy and execution of strategic choices
- Understand how strategic choices create competitive advantage
- Recognize the role strategic choice plays in initiating innovation and change on a firm-wide level
- Apply concepts and techniques to case analysis, simulations, and group discussions
- Relate new learning (concepts, tools, and techniques) to their own work settings
This course is divided into eight lessons.
- Lesson 1 – Fundamentals of Strategy – formulation, selection, and implementation
- Lesson 2 – Decision-making Theory and Practice
- Lesson 3 – Competitive Advantage and Strategic Marketing
- Lesson 4 – Operations, Quality, and Supply Chain Management
- Lesson 5 – Organizational Development
- Lesson 6 – Performance Measurement
- Lesson 7 – Business Simulation
- Lesson 8 – Innovation and Change