Implementing Strategy Through Management Evaluation – EISM 622
Several of the core MBA courses have addressed the role of strategy in organizations. In this course, students will learn how to implement strategy through management control systems. After an introduction to the nature of such systems, students will learn and discuss the management control process and variations in the practice of management control. An organization’s strategies are implemented primarily through people inside the organization—the management control environment section of the course addresses principles of behaviour in organizations, responsibility centres, and transfer pricing.
The course is divided into eight lessons:
- Lesson 1: An Introduction to Management Control Systems
- Lesson 2: Responsibility Centres
- Lesson 3: Investment Centres—Transfer Pricing and Measuring/Controlling Assets
- Lesson 4: Strategic Planning and Budget Preparation
- Lesson 5: Financial Control—Analyzing Financial Performance
- Lesson 6: Performance Measurement
- Lesson 7: Management Compensation and Management Control for Differentiated Strategies
- Lesson 8: Management Control for Service Organizations and Multinational Organizations
Your grade will be based on completion of six group cases, one individual case, participation in group discussions, and a peer evaluation.