PREREQUISITES: There are no prerequisites for this course. However, all participating students must have installed their learning environment software and loaded the appropriate databases.
The AU online Certified Hockey Professional – Professional Education Program Orientation familiarizes you with the AU online learning environment, academic conduct, library resources, case studies, and other useful information to help you be successful in the CHP program. It also allows you to practice interacting with other students as well as with an academic coach.
This online orientation precedes The Business of Hockey (the first course in the CHP program) and takes one week to complete. It is non-credit, but participation is mandatory.
This is a paced, asynchronous, online course. You will learn how to access course information and materials, conduct group discussions, and how to submit assignments electronically. Students, faculty, and staff are all connected, creating a dynamic, interactive learning environment while giving you the support and service you need.
By the end of this course, you should be able to:
- Navigate your way around the AU online learning environment
- Be knowledgeable in both the Business of Hockey Institute and the CHP Professional Education Program
- Explain the differences between business and academic writing
- Describe the variety of online library resources you will have access to
- Navigate your way through the online library resources
- Apply some of your newly-acquired skills by completing the assignments and interacting with others in the discussions
- Be familiar with the Athabasca University Academic Misconduct Policy that deals with plagiarism, cheating, misuse of confidential material, misrepresentation of facts, and misuse of computer software licenses
- Understand the value of casework as a way of applying theory to practice