Jerry Platt, PhD
- Title: Academic Coach, Ethics
- Email: email@example.com
Jerry Platt is Professor Emeritus at San Francisco State University, where he had been dean of the College of Business, one of the largest and most diverse AACSB schools in the world. Under his leadership SFSU became one of the leading business schools focused on corporate social responsibility; it currently is ranked #16 globally among the “Top 100 MBA Programs” (www.beyondgreypinstripes.org).
Dr. Platt holds a Ph.D. in Public Administration from The Ohio State University and a post-doc M.S. in Statistical Computing from Stanford University. He currently teaches blended courses to graduate students at the University of Redlands in southern California, Akita International University in northern Japan, and the recently launched “Executive MBA for the Business of Hockey” program in western Canada (https://business.athabascau.ca/mba/online-executive-mba-hockey).
Jerry was the founding president of the highly competitive San Jose Junior Sharks hockey program (www.sjjrsharks.com). His son Jason was the first NHL draft pick from that program (Edmonton Oilers, 2000), won the Ron Wilson Best Defensive Player Award while at Providence College, played for the American Hockey League Edmonton Roadrunners during the 2004-05 NHL lockout, and subsequently for other AHL teams and in Europe. A younger son Bryce played junior hockey in Alberta, but a near-fatal automobile accident cut short his hockey career aspirations.
PhD in Public Administration, The Ohio Stae University
Post-Doctoral M.S. in Statistical Computing, Stanford University
MBA, Wayne State University
- “Computer Mapping and Geographical Data Analysis for Everyone”, Featured Speaker, Annual
Meeting, Akita Chapter, Japan-America Society, June 2011, Akita JP
- “An Interactive Web-based Game to Introduce the World of Business and Economics”, a peerreviewed
presentation at The Asian Conference on Technology in the Classroom (ACTC), June 2011;
- “Student Perceptions of Japan in the Globalized Economy”, a peer-reviewed presentation at the Third
Annual Asian Conference on Education (ACE), October 2011, Osaka JP
- “Language: Japan’s Greatest Barrier to Global Trade”, with M. Mitsutomi, a peer-reviewed
presentation at the 37th Annual International Conference on Language Teaching and Learning (JALT),
November 2011, Tokyo JP
- Panel Chair, “Perspectives and Reflections on the State of the Global Economy”, Asian Business &
Management Conference, 2011, http://iafor.org/iafor/abmc2011/
- Director, International Advisory Board, The International Academic Forum (IAFOR: Asia’s Think
Tank”), 2011-2014, http://iafor.org/people.html
- Co-Chair and Keynote Speaker, ABMC2012: Asian Business & Management Conference, 2012,