Graduate Student Support
Athabasca University will close at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, December 23, 2020 and will reopen at 8:30 a.m. Monday, January 4, 2021. Student queries that are received during the holiday break will be given top priority on Jan 4th and full phone service will resume on January 5th.
For information regarding exam deadlines for students with a December 31, 2020 end-date please see the Calendar Holiday Closures and Examinations.
You may be studying at your own pace, but you are not on your own—you have a full set of resources to help you successfully complete your course or program.Course Login >
Your Personal Support Team
Being an online MBA student at Athabasca University’s Faculty of Business (AU-FB) is an experience like no other.
Once you are accepted into the program, you join a virtual ‘classroom’ of talented managers from organizations of various shapes and sizes and industries—private, not-for-profit, and government—across the country and beyond.
And you have a strong support network to help you succeed: core faculty, academic coaches, technical and administrative supports—not to mention your new student peer community. AU-FB also has a strong student and alumni relations group that will help you connect to students and graduates of your own and other AU business programs.
We're here to help
Monday to Thursday – 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.
Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Sunday – 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Phone: 1-800-561-4650 (toll-free in Canada/U.S.)
Monday to Thursday – 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Friday & Sunday – 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday & Stat Holidays – CLOSED
Phone: 1-800-561-4650 (toll-free in Canada/U.S.), select '3' from phone menu
We know you want to be able to effectively study, collaborate, and get your work done online without having to become a technical expert on our systems. We want that too. Helpdesk staff provide you the resources and assistance you need to participate effectively in the online learning environment. They work extended hours to help you with your initial setup, with travel issues, or any other technical issue that comes along.
Remote Support allows the Helpdesk team to connect to your computer in order to assist you with technical issues.
All MBA students are assigned a student services coordinator upon acceptance into the program. Your coordinator becomes your main administrative contact and works with you throughout your program to help you manage your schedule and meet your degree requirements.
When your job demands or other life issues get too big even for an online study schedule, your student services coordinator will help you find the best way through.
Your student services coordinator generally stays the same throughout the life of your program. However, if you defer one or more courses, you may be moved into another student cohort and assigned a new coordinator.
Frequently Asked Questions
The instructions contained on this page are tested solutions to specific problems.
Contact the Helpdesk If:
- Your issue doesn’t match one described here;
- You are experiencing severe technical issues with your IBM Notes software; or
- The solution provided doesn’t resolve your problem.
Please report problems with this FAQ section to the Helpdesk at email@example.com
Issues with IBM Notes:
IBM Notes won’t launch
After restarting your computer, IBM Notes prompts for your password but the IBM Notes window doesn’t open. In subsequent attempts to launch Notes, even the password prompt no longer appears. To resolve this issue:
- Reboot your computer.
- Navigate to the C:\Notes\Data folder.
- Locate the folder named Workspace.
- Rename this folder to OldWorkspace.
- Launch IBM Notes.
Note: Your Sametime Instant Messenger will no longer recall your login information. Please see How to log into Sametime Instant Messenger. (below)
Unable to Install IBM Notes at work
There are two main issues with installing IBM Notes on work computers:
- No administrative access: If you do not have administrative access to your computer (an administrator account), you cannot install new software. Contact your IT department to install the software for you, or ask them to grant you temporary administrative access.
- Network port 1352 closed: IBM Notes uses port 1352 to communicate with the Domino server. If you are installing IBM Notes and reach the configuration stage, but are unable to go further, the most common cause is that your network has port 1352 blocked (many office networks will not have this port open by default). Contact your IT department and have them open the port for bidirectional communication. Once this is done, you can continue with the IBM Notes configuration.
If your IT group requires further information, they can contact the Helpdesk directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-561-4650 . See also Firewalls and Replication—How to test if your network firewall is blocking your replication.
Issues with IBM Notes Mail:
Replication numbers and new mail items do not match
Students and staff may occasionally see updates to their mail file on the replication page, and yet there are no new email messages in their inbox. Though this may cause some confusion at first, this is a normal occurrence as a result of the other updates your mail file may receive such as security, policy, access control, etc. To doublecheck if the replication update is a new email, check your mail’s inbox and all documents view.
If you still feel you are missing emails, please see the question What to do when you believe you are not receiving new application entries in the Issues with Replication section below.
E-Mailing FB faculty and staff from outside of IBM Notes
The standard format for e-mail addresses at the Faculty of Business is email@example.com.
For example, the email address of John Doe would be John.Doe@fb.athabascau.ca.
No outgoing mail application
To set up an outgoing mail on ‘local application’ for your workspace or replication page:
- Go to File -> Locations -> Manage Locations
- Click Edit on your current location
- Go to the tab marked Mail
- Change the Mail File Location from On Server to Local
- Click OK and close the preferences window.
You should now have an outgoing mail application on your Home tab and Replication page. Ensure it is enabled on your replication page by looking for a checkmark in the enabled column.
Issues with Replication:
What to do when you believe you are not receiving new application entries
If you believe you are not receiving entries in your applications there are two things to do. First go to your replication page and ensure that the application is on there and there is a checkmark in the enabled box next to it. If the application is set to replicate, then the next step is to clear the replication history for the affected application. This will force IBM Notes to do a full replication, instead of just replicating all the new entries since the last time it replicated. To clear Replication History for a given application, please do the following: (Screencast?)
- Right click on the icon for the application in question on the workspace (not on the Replicator Page)
- Select Application – Properties from the menu that appears
- Click the Replication History” button
- Select Clear All, click Yes, and then Done
- In the Properties box, click the Replication Settings button
- Click the Other icon (on the left side of the window)
- Under This replica includes deletion stubs for all documents deleted since, delete any date and time information contained in this field
When all of the above steps have been done, you will need to replicate once using the following procedure:
- On the Replicator Page, select the Actions menu (instead of the Start now button)
- Then select Replicate with Server
- Select the AUMBA/CIM/CA server from the drop-down menu and click OK
Note: If AUMBA/CIM/CA does not appear as a selection, type in AUMBA/CIM/CA
Replication numbers do not correspond to new entries in your course application.
When replicating your course applications at the beginning of a new course, you will notice a discrepancy between the number of documents ‘Received’ on the Replication page and the number of new documents that actually appear in the applications. This is due to the ‘agreement documents’ students must accept upon opening their applications. These documents replicate up to the server and back down to the local copies, causing the discrepancy. This should subside once all students have accepted the agreements. There may also be discrepancies with the replication numbers throughout the course when students load applications onto new computers or post ‘private’ entries.
Firewalls and Replication - How to test if the network firewall is blocking your replication
IBM Notes communicates through port 1352. If your network firewall is blocking that port, you will be unable to replicate. This is a common occurrence on office networks, or while using some hotel networks.
In order to test if you are being blocked by the firewall you can use the Trace function built into Notes. To Trace:
- Click File -> Preferences (Mac users click IBM Notes -> Preferences)
- In the preferences window select Notes Ports
- Click on TCPIP to highlight it and then click the Trace button
- In the Trace window, make sure the Destination field says “AUMBA/CIM/CA”
- Click the Trace button.
The Trace info field will tell you the results of the trace. If the trace is successful it will have a line saying “Connected to server AUMBA/CIM/CA”. This means that IBM Notes can contact the server successfully and the firewall is not your issue. Please contact the Helpdesk for further support. If the trace is unsuccessful you will not see the “Connected to server AUMBA/CIM/CA” line in the trace info field. You may get a message indicating that the server could not be contacted. In this case you will need to inquire about port 1352 on the network firewall from local IT staff.
You may still want to contact the Helpdesk in case there is further support that can be offered in your particular situation.
What to do when you believe your new entries are not being replicated out
If you believe your entries are not being sent out from your computer to other students or your coach, please perform the same instructions given for What to do when you believe you are not receiving new application entries (above).
After completing those instructions, if your postings have still not been sent, contact the Helpdesk and an agent there will check to see if your messages have reached the server.
How to properly backup your course data
At the end of each course you will want to back-up the applications you used during that course. To make a backup of a Course Application:
- Right click on the application on your workspace, and choose Application – Properties. Make note of the Filename field.
- Open My Computer, Windows Explorer, Mac Finder.
- Navigate to your Local Application folder for IBM Notes (usually c:\notes\data).Note: If you do not know what your Local Application folder is: Open IBM Notes and select File (IBM Notes on Mac) – Preferences – Basic Notes Client Configuration. Look for the Local application folder heading.
- Locate the course folder of the application you wish to copy (e.g., 500-STMT), and locate the file name as noted in step 1.
- Proceed with copying the file to the location you want this file backed up to (i.e., CD, memory stick, network, external hard-drive, etc.)
DBA Application Process
If you are clicking on links in IBM Notes and are having issues with the links not working, or the pages not loading properly, it is likely you are using the internal IBM Notes browser instead of your normal internet browser. To resolve this:
- Click File -> Preferences (IBM Notes -> Preferences on Mac)
- Choose Web Browser from the left navigation pane
- Change the selection to User the Browser I have set as the default for this operating system
If your links are still not working, contact the Helpdesk .
Course / Coach name not appearing in assignment drop box
You should have two applications on your workspace, Assignment Drop Box and ADB Look-Up. For the Assignment Drop Box to display current courses and coaches, your ADB Look-Up application must be set up properly on your replicator page.
Note: The Assignment Drop Box should not be on the replicator page. Ensure the ADB Look-Up application is on the replicator page; there is a check mark to the left of the icon and that an arrow points to the left, and replicate.
Note: The ADB Look-Up application receives documents only. If your ADB Look-Up is set up as shown above and you still don’t see the appropriate selection in the course or coach list after you have replicated, please ensure that you close your Assignment Dropbox, and then clear replication history and settings for the ADB Look-Up application, and replicate as per instructions given for What to do when you believe you are not receiving new application entries (above).
How to log into Sametime Instant Messenger
If you are having issues logging into Sametime, select File -> Preferences, Sametime -> Server Communities and click “Reset User”.
When you are prompted to fill out your log-in credentials again, ensure that you use the following information and replace any existing information.
Below are the correct settings to use in order to connect to Sametime Instant Messaging:
- Host server – aumba10.mba.athabascau.ca
- Username – Firstname Lastname
- Password – Your IBM Notes password
- Select – Remember Password and Automatically log in
- Click the Log In button, and you should now be logged into Sametime.
Library and DBR login issues
If you are having issues accessing a reading for your course in the DRR, verify first if the reading you are trying to access is copyright protected, or from the library. Copyrighted works will have the following text beneath the link:
For reasons of copyright protection, access to this reading is limited to students registered in Coursename. Those students may access this reading with the username and password provided in their Study Guide. Note that these are NOT the same as a student’s library username and password.
If the work you are trying to access is copyrighted, then check the Study Guide for the correct username and password. If the work is not copyrighted, then the username and password will be your name and student ID number.
Note: If you have issues with your Library account, you may contact the library at firstname.lastname@example.org.