Athabasca University’s collaboration with the Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL) allows students to earn both an MBA and the Certified Health Executive (CHE) designation, Canada’s only professional credential available to health leaders. CCHL is a national, non-profit, professional association dedicated to developing, promoting, advancing, and recognizing excellence in health leadership.
Lead tomorrow’s health care industry with an education that combines comprehensive business management knowledge with today’s most advanced health leadership practices.
What does the CHE designation say about you? Having these additional credentials demonstrates your dedication to your profession, indicates knowledge of the latest health leadership practices, and exemplifies your dedication to lifelong learning.
Earn your MBA for Health Leaders and your CHE Designation
To be accepted into the AU online MBA, you must meet one of the following qualifications:
- a bachelor’s degree and at least three years of managerial experience (managerial experience includes managing people, projects, and/or budgets). Applicants may also qualify to enter through the accelerated entry route, or
- an accepted professional designation, see list, and at least five years of managerial experience, or
- eight years of managerial experience.
After the successful completion of phase one of the MBA, you can apply for membership with the Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL) and apply to the CHE Program. You must apply to the CHE Program prior to graduating from the MBA to be eligible for the benefits associated with this strategic alliance between CCHL and Athabasca University MBA for Health Leaders toward your CHE designation.
Requirements to earn your CHE designation:
1. Become a member of CCHL and pay annual fees.
2. Apply to the CHE program before completing AU’s MBA at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants must meet the following entrance criteria and supply the required documents.
- Complete and submit application form with payment (Reduce rate of $519.91 for AU MBA student rate).
- Have two years of health leadership experience in Canada and provide a resume with detailed position description.
- Provide a letter of reference from a current or former employer.
- Provide copies of degrees granted.
- Proof of enrolment with date of completion from the Athabasca University MBA program from the program Director.
3. Once accepted into the program, candidates must successfully complete the LEADS Online Self-Assessment, Career Development Plan, and online CHE Exam. (Through this alliance AU MBA students are exempt from doing the last component of the CHE Program, the LEADS In Action Project, in recognition of the academic work in health leadership while in the MBA Program)
While you complete your AU MBA, you will receive the following credit toward CHE program requirements:
- LEADS in Action Project
- Seven “MOC I” credits provided when successfully completing the CHE Program towards the maintenance of certification.
Once you have completed your MBA*, you will be required to write the CHE online exam, and complete the CHE program evaluation to achieve your CHE designation.
You must apply to the CHE program while still an MBA STUDENT. This agreement does not apply to alumni.
About the online CHE program:The Canadian College of Health Leaders (CCHL) is committed to creating and sustaining a learning environment for its members by offering the only Canadian professional designation available to health leaders. A Certified Health Executive (CHE) is a skilled professional who is committed to both personal career development and their profession. A CHE gains valuable insight into the most advanced health leadership practices and is better able to lead an organization.The program is a self-directed online program which can be completed at your own pace, within a three year timeframe. The first step in the CHE application process is to become a member of the CCHL.
AU Faculty of Business contacts:
Dr. Kam Jugdev
Professor, Project Management and Strategy
Further information on CCHL and the CHE designation:
Canadian College of Health Leaders at www.cchl-ccls.ca
If you require any further information, please contact:
Certification Program, Leadership Development & Chapter Support
613.235.7218 / 1-800-363-9056 ext 233
* All criteria for acceptance into the CHE program must be met. Being an AU MBA student does not guarantee automatic entry into the CHE program or vice versa.