For executives, managers, and individuals poised to take on leadership roles
In today’s increasingly complex organizations, leaders must create environments in which positive things happen, and others are inspired to contribute at their highest levels. Leaders not only serve as change agents who guide, transform, and bring out the best in their employees to achieve extraordinary results, they also understand the importance of self-reflection and challenging their own assumptions.
Leaders are found at all levels within an organization, and leadership can be cultivated, nurtured, and expressed by mastering a set of practices that enhance leadership skills and competencies. Athabasca University’s online Leadership certificate of completion focuses on soft skill leadership development.
Certificate of completion requirements
The online Leadership certificate of completion is made up of eight (8) online courses worth one (1) graduate credit each (see schedule). All eight (8) courses must be completed to earn the online Leadership certificate of completion. Online courses can be taken in any order. No pre-requisites or application forms.
Fees are $1108 per course which includes all materials, and Graduate Student Association fees of $13 per credit. AU alumni (degree holders only) will receive a 20% reduction.
Transfer credit available
All eight online courses can transfer to a Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Leadership and Management (PBDLM). You will need to complete ten additional credits to satisfy requirements to earn the PBDLM. In addition, three online courses may transfer for one three-credit elective within Athabasca University’s online MBA for executives should you meet the entry requirements and be accepted into the MBA.
What will you learn?
- develop a greater awareness of different leadership styles and preferences
- participate in diagnostic tools for self-evaluation that help to identify leadership blind spots and developmental opportunities
- explore and understand one’s own current leadership strengths and areas of challenge
- challenge your own leadership assumptions and develop new leadership skills and insights
- develop a greater awareness of why organizations change and the roles of leaders and managers within the process
- practice essential elements of coaching skills and coaching process with colleagues
- use a best practices model to plan for a change
- demonstrate increased awareness in and sensitivity to cross-cultural issues in negotiations