553-LTLC: The Leadership Challenge – Exploring the Leader Within
In today’s increasingly complex organizations, leaders must create environments in which positive things happen and must inspire others to contribute at their highest levels. Leaders not only serve as change agents who guide, transform, and bring out the best in their employees to achieve extraordinary results, but they also understand the importance of self-reflection and challenging their own assumptions. Leaders are found at all levels of an organization, and leadership can be cultivated, nurtured, and expressed by mastering a set of practices that enhance leadership skills and competencies. This course focuses on helping learners develop their leadership potential by acquiring leadership proficiencies in key areas that leverage pre-existing skills and expertise.
After completing this course, learners will be better equipped to:
- distinguish between leadership and management;
- explain the importance of visionary leadership and self-leadership;
- explain the importance of trust and credibility to leadership;
- direct high performance teams and manage conflict within teams;
- use communication effectively to inspire and influence others;
- identify characteristics of organizational culture;
- make effective decisions by applying key elements and approaches;
- implement change effectively through the intentional application of strategies and a phased approach.
- Lesson 1: The Foundation of Leadership
- Lesson 2: Leading for High Performance
- Lesson 3: Inspiring and Influencing Others
- Lesson 4: Organizational Culture and Change
Students will be evaluated based on their participation in weekly online discussions (35%), weekly case study discussions (35%), and one comprehensive assignment, a Leadership Ideas and Planning Log (30%). To pass the course, students must achieve 60% or more on the weekly discussion component, and 60% or more as a combined average on the other credit activities.
This four-week course is worth 1 credit of graduate-level study.