HCKY 644 – Game Day Management & Marketing
This course examines the opportunities and challenges associated with the successful production of live hockey games. More so than in other sports, the majority of a hockey franchise’s revenues derive from home games. With a limited number of home games, it is essential that the game day operations and long-term revenue potential of each game be maximized.
In this course, every facet of game day operations is viewed through the lens of the franchise’s strategic objectives and, more specifically, in relation to the market segments the franchise is targeting and the types of experiences they desire.
Topics covered include project management, advertising and promotion, concessions, pricing strategies and tactics, human resource management (including volunteer management) and facilities management. Attention is also given to promotional and technological innovations (e.g., social media, live streaming) impacting spectators’ and viewers’ game day experiences. NOTE: This course does not explore facility design and financing.
- Understand the roles and responsibilities of organizational sub-units as they relate to Game Day operations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the sales function and apply effective sales strategies to Game Day operations.
- Apply project management concepts and frameworks to support Game Day marketing and management.
- Coordinate the various aspects of Game Day operations, and know how each of these can be viewed as sub-projects of the master project for Game Day operations.
- Run and integrate aspects of the Game Day operations as sub-projects.
- Create strategies to utilize human resources (including volunteers) to enhance Game Day experiences.
- Design overall integrated communication objectives for Game Day.
- Maximize the variety of communications tools that are available for Game Day.
- Use collaborative strategies with media outlets which are covering the game.
- Maximize facility attributes to enhance Game Day experience.
- Collect, analyze, and evaluate Game Day information to improve Game Day effectiveness.